Saturday, December 28, 2013

Planning a Regency Wardrobe

I'm planning a Regency Wardrobe for the Jane Austen Festival Australia in Canberra this April.  This requires 3 evening dresses and 3 day dresses. I'm combining some dresses I already have with some new dresses as well.

Thursday night
I thouht I would go for something fairly simple.  I have a cream and silver stripe chiffon dress that is lovely to wear, but a little long for dancing.  So why not jazz it up with a new accessory?


I figured I could make a little bodice to wear over the top out of this purple silk satin that I have, and attach some pom poms or tassels... Possibly some embroidery? Then if I have enough, I'll make a shower-cap turban out of the leftover silk..

My back up plan (should I not get everything done in time) is to just wear the dress as is.  Possibly a sash could be worn..

Friday
I thought I would be French.. :D


Friday Night
As it's a dinner, I figure I'll wear my red ball gown from my last trip to JAFA.  I just need to move the buttons....

This will also be my Saturday night backup plan, so my friday night backup plan will most likely be my black french dress with a lovely black shawl I was given for Christmas last year.

Saturday
On Saturday I hope to have a very english outfit made, in whites and greens.  It'll take in a reproduction cotton print from the regency period that I picked up at the V&A Quilt Exhitibion last year. 

I also thought I might make a pelisse, and I have a nice green acryllic wool blend.


My backup plan for Saturday will be my 1820s which is now pretty much complete (I just need to add a bit of a ruffle at the bottom)


Saturday Night
Ball night!  Need a new pretty obviously!  But I'm not sure about fabrics or colours.  I want to do this from my stash, but I'm worried that the silks might be a litle too crisp.  But, I don't want it to be too flimsy either since I want to be able to embroider... what's your thought? Green or pink? If I do the pink, I'm tempted to do brown embroidery and tassels, if it's the green, it'll probably be a forest green instead..

As mentioned previously, the backup plan for the ball is the red dress if I don't get this finished.

Sunday
Picnic Day.  Wendy and I have something up or sleeves, so the plan is that it will probably happen first - so there is no back up plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment