Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Victorian Spring Picnic

On a super bright and sunny day in early October, my reenactment group hosted their Spring picnic at Fort Lytton, which coincided with a firing of the 64 pound guns.

I had a new bustle dress for the occasion, and some excellent company!  I don't have a photo of just me with this bustle on just me as yet, but that will come.. :)  So here's a couple of photos of the finished item...



It turned out beautfilly, and I have a hat cut out to match.  The joy is that while I had to buy the rich tomato colour for this, I have a skirt half made in the stripe, I still have enough to have a day bodice in that colour and evening bodice in the stripe.  Not only that, but this colour also perfectly matches another checked silk I have in the stash.  So I'm going to have some killer mix and match outfits!

The reenactment group started out the weekend doing some kit repair, and then we camped out overnight at the fort.  I was shattered, and kept falling asleep at the dinner table, so was told to go to bed.  But.  I had THE best night sleep.  I crashed, and woke up bright and early, ready for the day. 

Since we were the only ones out there, I managed to spot a couple of the fort lytton hares... Which are HUGE! And a big scruffy looking..



We had a great day... we had the cannon-firing, so the guys were there to play a rousing game of cricket as well.  The company was excllent, the food and drink plentiful, so all in all, a very successful day!





No comments:

Post a Comment