Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The 2015 Year in Review...

This has taken me a while to get around to.  Personally, not my greatest year.  I don't really want to dwell on it, other than to say I didn't mourn the end of the year at all.

I feel like this influenced my costuming year.  I have spent alot of the year being tired, and I haven't finished a few things, or rushed through a few of them, so I can guarantee that I'll be revisiting them.  I'll even mention which ones I'm talking about.. ;)  This is not ALL the costumes I wore this year, that would be way too many!  But it is what I made.

My birthday is in January, so I decided to crank up the aircon and have a vintage high tea.  It was amazing, but exhausting, I literally couldn't walk the next day.  So much so I decided that my 40th (this year) would be an affair that I would organise, but I wouldn't _DO_ everything.  I did however make a new frock, and it's one of my favourites!



We also went to the Underwear exhibit, and while I was going wear a bustle dress, I decided it was way too hot for that and went in my underwear.  I made a pretty pink and blue stripe petticoat for the occasion.



It was another 3 months before my next event... (SERIOUSLY?  THAT LONG?), but I used the time judiciously, making new costumes for Gold Coast Supanova.  This is one event I'm not going to commit to for the entire weekend.  It is just too costly.  I may go for one day, because MICHELLE FREAKING GOMEZ! Oh yeah, see costume below.. ;)

 
I really want to do a better wig for my Missy costume, but other than that I just love it.  My Ingrid outfit I love as well, but nobody recognised her and I was forever accepting backweard compliments such as "I love your dress, but I have no idea who you're supposed to be!"

The spring picnic was also in April, and I put together a new bustle dress, cause I just hated everything I had.  This is one I think needs some rework, the skirt is slightly short, so I'll have to drop the hem, and the bodice is a bit big.  I also have to work out some way to clasp up the belt a bit better too.



Then, for Anzac Day (100th anniversary), I put together a 1915 outfit.  The blouse is lovely, the skirt is ok, and there should be a waist, which I made and it didn't fit.  I do love my massively poofy hat though.



History Alive came around quickly, and the only thing new I made for it was Victorian Swimwear.  I'll be making some adjustments to this too, but I love it.



Then there was a midway dinnerdance!  New 1940s needed obviously. 


Then at the steampunk ball, I decided to be thrifty  and recycle.  I made an evening bodice for my steamy bustle skirts....



Possibly my favourite outfit of the year was my new 1880s bustle. It's a reproduction print, it's cotton, it's velvet, it's broderie angalise...  it fits perfectly, and I love it.  I will be fixing a couple of things on it, but for now, I just love wearing it.



Then flash forward to September, and I made myself a new spencer and reticule in raspberry.  I love it.  Totally love it.  Not a thing to be changed.  I even have a matching reticule.



I'm not sure what it is about the 19th Century Picnics, I seem to advance upon them and think "OMG, I have nothing to wear!", so for the Spring Picnic, I decided it was necessary to make an 1890s skirt and blouse,  and it was completely from stash.  Oooooh yeah.  I'm hoping this is a trend that continues really.  I love this outfit, and have recieved so many compliments on it.



Then in October, I went to Sydney for a regency weekend.  So I made a Georgian outfit... hahahahaha.  I love this too, only I'm not sure I like my stomacher, it's a kinda MEH colour.  So I'm probably going to embroider/applique one to semi-match the jacket.



Then for a housewarming, I made a new regency frock.  Which will definitely come in handy.  I do need to work on a new ballgown though!



And then, as was in my recent posts, I made two things during December...  A sheer gown, which I need to re-hem with a facing since I cut it just a little short.  And I need to make the belt to match and a bonnet (although the sunhat did keep me from being burnt!)



And finally, my 1930s beach pyjamas... :D  I need to probably put some belt loops on this, and reinforce some seams, but so comfy, and so stylish.  I plan to make some lounge pyjamas really soon as well.



So there's my 2015.    I'm going to leave you with a favourite pic that I took of one of my lovely friends that passed away during the year.  It's still a bit surreal that she's gone, and we still stop a sentence midway through when we mention her name in almost a "oh yeah" moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment