Monday, January 18, 2016

The last costumes for 2015

I'm going to combine the last two events of 2015 together....

The first was the last firing of the canon at Fort Lyttton.  I have wanted to make a sheer gown for some time, and I've finally had the chance!  I still have a couple more things to do to the gown (one is putting a proper hem on it, the other the green belt) and I do need bonnet to go with this outfit.  I used the Truly Victorian sheer gown pattern, which went together easily.  I LOVE this gown and I can't wait to wear it again!

  

I do need to get more photos of the dress, including some detail shots.  The above right is the only "in progress" shot I have...

The final event of the year was the Australian Costumers' Guild Christmas Party.  This year, we decided on a day at the beach.  Originally, I had planned to wear my Victorian Bathers, which I had made for History Alive.  One of our members sadly passed away in October, and since we marked this down on the calendar, she was excited about making 1930s beach pyjamas (said with her delightful Australian/Canadian accent).

So, in tribute to her, a few of us made a plan to make beach pyjamas.  I had a plan, and even bought a pattern for my plan, but then I saw this ad from the 1930s for a "bathing suit".  See the naval number?  



I had to have it.

So I changed my mind (for the 3rd time) and made myself a nautical outfit.  the text in the lower left mentions that it is made form jersey.  Apparently it's almost impossible to purchase jersey in a weight that you can't shoot peas through.  Thoroughly annoying, but eventually I found some.  I used a blend of my beach pyjamas pattern and a pattern I used to make tops in the 90s... hehehe... worked out perfectly, but I do need to go back and reinforce some of the seams (I didn't use the overlocker, and possibly should have!)



I teamed it with my navy stripe espadrilles, a 1920s/30s wig and a parasol.  I can't believe just how comfortable this outfit is.  Yes, the crotch sits a little too low for my usual liking, but apparently the outfit suited me.

My fellow 1930's babes and I...



Taking a shot of 1930s ladies in their beach pyjamas from behind seems to be a bit of a thing.... 

  

So, we thought we'd do a similar shot...



Which I just love.  And, despite the two girls being so much more slender than I, I didn't actually feel like a potato in my 30's beach pyjamas.  I forsee another pair, and my SFAM (sister from another mother) may have provided me with the fabric needed to make another round.  this time out of a rayon instead with a blouse and jacket.


No comments:

Post a Comment